Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Pesto Recipe

I have a Mini-Prep by Cuisinart that came with a little recipe booklet.  The Pesto Recipe I use is from that booklet.

Pesto

1 oz Reggiano Parmigiano cut in 1/2 inch cubes or shredded
1/4  cup toasted pine nuts or walnuts
1 clove garlic, peeled
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves, washed and dried completely
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

First grind up the cheese. (Which is why I use shredded, I avoid this step and it goes faster.)  Remove from processor and reserve.  Add the nuts and chop.  Remove and reserve.  Add garlic and salt; scrape the sides and then add the basil leaves. and half the olive oil. Pulse.  Add the rest of the oil in a slow, steady stream through one of the holes in the recessed area of the lid.  After all the oil has been added , add cheese and nut and blend again.  Let pesto sit for 30 minutes or longer to allow the flavors to develop.  (this is when I start the water for the pasta.)  Sauce will keep up to one week in the refrigerator or it can be frozen.  Transfer to an airtight container.


When I freeze pesto, I leave the cheese out. It's just something I do, as I like fresh cheese. When I use the thawed pesto I add the cheese to the pasta when I add the pesto.  (And toss well.)  

2 comments:

The Sunflower Patch said...

Thank you for the recipe! I have a cinnamon basil plant in the garden just waiting :)

Deb said...

Thank you! I am drooling reading the recipe!! Now, to get my basil plant to put out enough leaves to get one cup of leaves!!

Deb