Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Do You Ever Feel Like This?

Do you ever feel like this?  You are sewing along on your project and you really want to start something new?  I've been looking at this quilt on my calendar all of June.


Very simple, just half square triangles done with light and dark fabrics.  So I resisted all month.  Then Friday, Missouri Star Quilt Company comes out with this tutorial, The Disappearing Hourglass quilt, on video.  I'm watching it and she makes HST with 2 pieces of fabric from a 10 inch layer cake.  Oh. My. Goodness!  It all clicked.  I can make my HSTs using this method.  Now I know I have seen something like this before and I'm sure it's even pinned on my Pinterest boards.

But it felt so revolutionary to actually see this done.  The squares will be a little bigger, but that's OK, as I want to make a twin size charity quilt.  So now what?  Do I drop everything and start this?  Or keep working on my 2014 list?

So, does this ever happen to you?  And when it does, how do you handle it???


UPDATE:  And yes I do want to go buy the materials needed to make the Disappearing Hourglass quilt!!

6 comments:

Karen said...

I think you end up with the bias of the fabric on the outside of the block with this method so you may have some stretch going on.

Jean said...

This looks easy but it will have bias edges. Maybe you could use a stabilizer on them? like Best Press or something. I don't like the way she just flipped that block over to the right side and pressed without looking which way her seams were going. I know, picky picky.

Jean said...

Oh I forgot to answer the question...start the new project!

Deb said...

I've been admiring this same quilt all month! I say, start planning it while you are working on 2014 projects...or substitute it for a 2014 project.

CeLynn said...

Well yes I do! Start the project while continuing to work on the planned projects.

Jeanine Williams said...

I am using this method and it works fine. I am using Best Press and being careful when I press but it is worth it. If you want to "shop" my basement for fabric (since it is a charity quilt), let me know!