Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Maintenance

I took my Bernina in yesterday for maintenance.  It needs cleaned and oiled plus the button hole feature wasn't working very well.  We'll see if it can be fixed.  My machine is between 15-20 years old.  I know they don't last forever, but I love this machine.

So, I'm using my Featherweight.  It works great for piecing but I'm not so fond of using it for quilting or attaching the binding as I like my walking foot for that.  But for piecing, I love it!


My little machine was born in 1937 according to the Singer website.  And according to this website, which has the actual date, it was on December 8. 1937.  Amazing little machines.  I learned to sew on one of these machines.  It was my mother's and my sister is now the proud owner of it.

I'm also doing some cutting of fabrics.  A few weeks ago I cleaned out my Halloween fabrics and wrapped the yardage on the comic book boards.  I took all the small pieces and leftovers from making craft items up to my sewing room to cut into strings and 5 inch squares.  I'm thinking I'm going to make a quilt using string blocks combined with the plain squares. Oh the ideas that swirl in the heads of quilters!

Tomorrow is the big reveal of the next number on Connie's Game.  Only 5 more projects.  And 3 of the ones left are biggies.

3 comments:

Jean said...

It sounds like you are keeping busy since vacation. If we could get all of the ideas finished that are buzzing around in our heads, it would be so awesome!

Terri in BC said...

I think we must think alike sometimes. I've been tidying up my fabric in the same way. My Featherweight is the also same year as yours! I'll have to look up its birthday when I get home. I pretty much use it exclusively for piecing now - it makes such a nice straight seam.

Lee Prairie Designs said...

What a wonderful back up, Karen. I have heard they have a open toe and a walking foot attachment available for this singer feather weight machine. I have a feather weight the same age as yours,too and in perfect condition. I am going to look into these attachments for mine...also I love my Bernia! I hope yours returns to you, soon!

Carolyn