Monday, March 28, 2011

Dryer Sheet String Block


Dryer Sheet
 I use Snuggle dryer sheets and they measure about 6.25 X 9 inches.

I cut off the long edge so that the sheet measures 6.25 X 6.25.
I throw the little scrap of dryer sheet in my dog pillow that hangs on the door of my sewing table.  See here : http://hazeldellquilts.blogspot.com/search/label/Pet%20Bed
I place the first strip of fabric right side up diagonally on the dryer sheet.








Lay the next strip right side down lining up the edges on the right side of the strip.  I pin these first two pieces to keep them from shifting while I sew.  Sew, using a quarter inch seam.  For the next strips I just match them and sew without pinning.  You could still pin if you would like.

Press the seams open either by finger pressing or by using your iron.  At first I was worried about using the iron but I thought that these are used in a hot dryer so I just turned my iron down and it was fine.  You could use a pressing cloth to be on the safe side.   Add the next strip, right side down, to the the newest strip on the right and sew again. 


front


The strips are all sewn on to the dryer sheet.


Back
Ready to square up the block so that it measures 6 X 6.

Ready for the last cut.








Finished block!   Hope you have fun with this and if you feel there is something that needs to be clarified, let me know, I'll be happy to help.

2 comments:

Deb said...

GREAT tutorial...have you spent the last few years teaching? It is wonderfully clear! Now, to start saving my dryer sheets. I'm not sure my current brand is that large. I will have to measure them. May have to make smaller blocks!!

Rachel said...

Karen, you did a super job explaining and showing pictures....I will have to try this!